[kaffe] quick question method lookups

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Fri Aug 2 14:12:12 PDT 2002

gonzo wrote:
> in the verifier i'm attempting to figure out of a method in a class has
> been overriden by a subclass (for finding out if final methods have been
> overriden, which is bad).  right now i'm doing string comparrisons
> (gasp!).

I wouldn't worry too much about the performance of the verifier to
start with...  wait and benchmark it.  The vast majority of classes
don't have a significant number of methods, so I doubt a linear search
is really problematic.  Sorting the methods on the Class by name and
doing a binary search would be a bit faster than the current, with no
space overhead.  (Plus some overhead to sort in the first place, of
course).

I think the code that matches interface methods to implemented class
methods has to do a lot of string compares, so whatever your solution,
you could probably improve that code, too. See
classMethod.c:buildInterfaceDispatchTable.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
 Indifference may cause the downfall of mankind, but who really cares?