[kaffe] Status of Playstation 2 patches

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Thu Dec 12 10:34:01 PST 2002

Note that some of the stuff that I filed as MIPS patches
is either identical or equivalent to some of Dylan's PS2
patches - indeed, one of the reasons I got seriously
engages was that I could see that Dylan was labeling
fixes "PS2" that were actually pretty generic to MIPS
(that's not a bad reflection on him - when the only
MIPS you have is a PS2, all problems look like PS2
problems!).  The main differences are that the GP/FP
offset in the stack frame is very different on the PS2,
due to the extended registers, and that the PS2 lacks
functioning LL/SC instructions, despite being an advanced
MIPS processor.  Newer versions of MIPS/Linux will
emulate those instructions, but I don't think those new
kernels are up and running widely on PS2s yet.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.

P.S.  I still haven't been able to get back to the bugs
         in the MIPS JIT.  They mostly seem to have to
         do with the complicated gcc argument passing
         conventions for MIPS, particularly for mixed
         FP/integer parameter lists.  Has anyone else
         made any progress here?