[kaffe] tomcat3.2.3 doesn't work properly on Kaffe-1.0.6-6

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 08:15:05 PDT 2002

--- Tatsuya Tsurukawa <turukawa at isl.melco.co.jp>
wrote:
> I've tried to get tomcat 3.2.4 run on
> kaffe-1.0.7-rc1 and three
> patches dalibor attached previous mail.
>
> I could see sample servlets work well as you
> mentioned, but
> Apache-SOAP 2.2 still didn't work.

I.e. tomcat 3.2.4 works, but soap doesn't? Then we
should check the patches in, they allow us to run at
least tomcat ...

> I also found the following code included in
> Apache-SOAP
> RPCRouterServlet.java replies different value
> depending on JVM.
>
> public void init() throws ServletException {
>     ClassLoader servletClassLoader =
> getClass().getClassLoader();
>
> Although the value
> "sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader at 22961b " is
> returned as servletClassLoader in case of using
> JDK1.3.1, null
> returns in case of Kaffe.
>
> Calling stacks are as follows.
> at

java.lang.NullPointerException.<init>(NullPointerException.java:17)
> at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:104)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.core.Context.setAttribute(Context.java:411)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletContextFacade.setAttribute(ServletContextFacade.java:116)
> at

org.apache.soap.server.http.ServerHTTPUtils.setServletClassLoaderIntoContext(ServerHTTPUtils.java:144)
> at

org.apache.soap.server.http.RPCRouterServlet.init(RPCRouterServlet.java:173)
> at

javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:258)
>   :
>
> Does anybody know the reason why null is returned,
> and are there any
> work arounds ?

We load most classes using the boot class loader,
which is the "null" you see returned above. with java
1.2 class laoding changed a bit, and now most classes
are not loaded by boot class loader, thus you see
things like "sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader at 22961b "
above.

I have started to implement bits and pieces necessary
to get java 1.2 class loading to work, but that will
not be finished before 1.0.7 is out.

I'll look into the issue with SOAP (i'll try soap
2.3.1 first), and see if I have any success.

best regards,