VerifyError in PushbackReader

Erik Corry erik at arbat.com
Sun Mar 17 12:47:01 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 02:17:46PM +0000, Chris Gray wrote:

> > With earlier versions of jikes, I would get verify errors like this
> > whenever there was a private or protected constructor (rather than
> > public) on an internal class. PushbackReader has that on the
> > PushbackBuffer class, so that might be worth checking out.
> >
> > With jikes 1.14 this seems to have been fixed, but jikes 1.15 is
> > completely broken as far as I know and produces verify errors all over
> > the place.
>
> Yes, jikes 1.15 produces bad code: this is not specific to kaffe.
> (Jikes 1.15b is said to be better, but we haven't tried it out yet).

OK, I recompiled with jikes-1.13 (jikes-1.13-1 from RedHat 7.1) and
now I don't have the problem.  The way the problem came and went
depending on the time of day, and whether I stopped the program in
the debugger makes me think that it was caused by uninitialised
data on the stack.  The verifier files are filled with variables
that are not initialised when they are declared, though none of them
are obvious problems.

At any rate I have a workaround now, so I am happy.  I didn't try
with jikes-1.14, because I already deinstalled it.  It crashes
on many of the files in GNU ClassPath (actually the Sable version),
so I didn't trust it.

If someone recompiles with 1.15b then I can try the resulting .jar
file to see if it works for me.  It would be nice to have a version
of Klasses.jar in CVS that doesn't show the problem.

Erik Corry erik at arbat.com