[kaffe] Where can I find Biss-AWT?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 12:13:01 PDT 2003

Hallo Clemens,

--- Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at web.de> wrote:

> The problem is, that its not possible to make a native swing 100%
> compatibel, I think it was possible for apple because they emulate a lot
> stuff, they only have one LNF.

I doubt anyone has written a native Swing implementation. I dpn't believe that
would be such a great idea anyway. For some of my reasons, see
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-March/029138.html

> So its a descision between speed and compatibility. I know for kaffe it
> would be more useful to have a 100% compatible swing or at least an
> implementation which would allow to extend it to be compatible.

I think the major problem is that you'd require a free software VM to use a
specific graphical toolkit for their AWT, in order to be able to interface with
your Swing implementation. Whichever toolkit you pick, you'll end up alianating
some people.

If you go the pure java route, you can mostly avoid that problem.

> And because of biss-awt I thought it would make sence to extend it so
> that it would have swing equivalten features...

There are actually some java graphical toolkits (Zawal) that are Swing like and
available under free software licensing terms. If you want to look into
extending stuff, then creating a javax.swing wrapper for Zawal might be a
better plan than to try to extend Biss AWT. Especially since Zawal is actively
maintained ;)

On the other hand, there are parts of Swing that can be implemented without AWT
(the html parsing, for example). You could start with that and tackle the Swing
component issue later.

In any case, you should get in touch with Hans Peter from the above cited post,
as he seems to have some ideas similar to yours.

> It would be interresting to see how well biss-awt works, e.g. to build a
> VERY big test app, and then test the behaviour of all the widgets
> (menus!)...

Well, I've heard that the mauve project is looking for (non-interactive) AWT
tests, so I bet they could use someone to write tests for AWT classes.