[kaffe] missing features needed for HSQLDB 1.7.2

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Aug 12 05:29:02 PDT 2003

Hi Ito,

Ito Kazumitsu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build the CVS version of hsqldb with kaffe
> and have found that the following JDK 1.4 features are missing:
>
> javax.security.cert.*
> javax.net.ssl.*
>
>    These are also missing in GNU Classpath.  I am afraid
>    it is a long way before we can use these.

javax.security.cert.* shouldn't be that hard to implement. It's
basically two mostly abstract classes plus a handful of exceptions. And
it's been deprecated from the start: "New applications should not use
this package, but rather java.security.cert." ;)

javax.net.ssl.* is a different beast altogether. I'm afraid that there
is no free software implementation of this API, but I hope the Gnu
Crypto developers may know more. So I've cc:ed them in this mail.

> java.io.RandomAccessFile.getChannel()
>
>    Kaffe has imported java.nio.channels.FileChannel and
>    java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl from GNU Classpath.
>    But
>
>       - This FileChannelImpl needs some native methods.
>
>       - This FileChannelImpl needs the file descriptor,
>         but kaffe's RandomAccessFile has only an invalid
>         file descriptor: FileDescriptor fd = new FileDescriptor() .

The missing NIO stuff is being worked on by Guilhem and Michael Koch
from gcj.