[kaffe] Kaffe as the main JVM

jerome moliere jmoliere at nerim.net
Tue Aug 12 09:15:03 PDT 2003

Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Salut Jerome,

fluent in french :)

> jerome moliere wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I know kaffe for a while, but I'm about delivering a report for a
>> huge french institution seraching for a lightt JVM enough to be
>> linked from
>> their website & able to launch their applets. Code is Java 1.1 (awt,
>> .net, .io) so kaffe could make the stuff...
>

> If an appletviewer is all you need, then that's possible. Kaffe hasn't
> been really intergrated into a web browser yet, though. There are some
> (old) patches for a Mozilla plugin, but the status is unknown.

in short yes :)
I'd like to be able to use an open source project, light one rather to
argue with Sun about how to change their installation software for their
old JRE (1.1.8)

>> But what about the process of running kaffe without the cygwin stuff ?
>> Because I can't ask customers to download & install the cygwin package..
>> So is it possible to compile the kaffe code against the native MFC
>> code (Win32 API)...
>

> Not kaffe.org code, as the KaffeCE port of kaffe to Win32, WinCE and
> WinNT hasn't been merged in yet. But any help (especially in form of
> windows developers interested in doing the merge) would be highly
> appreciated. See http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/kaffe.html for
> more information on the particular port.

your answer points out my doubts because I saw code from the KaffeCE ,
but I'm not in touch with the project to be able to say that 's the
version I need,
moreover  I never ran this version (I don't have Windows CE friendly
machine)

>> I guess that the answer is no but I must be sure....
>> If not, it means that there's no way to deliver an open source JVM on
>> the windows desktop (for non developers :))
>

> maybe gcj would be an alternative, AFAIK they can build on mingw.
> There also unmerged kaffe patches for mingw and win32 in the
> pocketlinux tree.
>
> The short answer is: it doesn;t work out of the box, but it could be
> made to work with some work, apparently. It would be great if you
> could contribute that missing bit.

This sounds to be a challenge, I 'll try to send this work to my customer :)
This could be great for the project to be available on a  platform like
Windows.

Thanks for the so quick answer

Regards

jerome