[kaffe] Kaffe as the main JVM

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Aug 13 03:14:02 PDT 2003

jerome moliere wrote:
> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>> Salut Jerome,
>

> fluent in french :)

not really, I'm just living right accross the border on the German side ;)

> your answer points out my doubts because I saw code from the KaffeCE ,
> but I'm not in touch with the project to be able to say that 's the
> version I need,
> moreover  I never ran this version (I don't have Windows CE friendly
> machine)

I've looked over the sources briefly, and they have implemented native
threading over win32, winCE and winnt APIs. The AWT is still X based,
AFAIK.

On the other hand, kaffe.org kaffe comes with a Qt based AWT, which
works with Qt2, and so it could work with the free Qt2 version for
Windows, saving you from having to tell your users to download an X
implementation. But the Qt-AWT implementation is not as well tested as
the X11 one, so it may not be as stable. I'm rarely working with AWT
myself, so I can't tell.

http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/kaffe.html also includes Win32/WinNT
tarballs with classfiles, which I assume is a version of kaffe built for
Win32 or WinNT, so you may not need a WinCE machine to try it out.

> This sounds to be a challenge, I 'll try to send this work to my
> customer :)
> This could be great for the project to be available on a  platform like
> Windows.

In order to merge this kind of stuff in, we need developers interested
in kaffe on windows. So if your customer is willing to work with you and
Rainer (author of the KaffeCE port) to get the code merged in, that
would be great. You can get in touch with Rainer on the wince-developer
mailing list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wince-devel/