[kaffe] GNU classpath and AWT

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Aug 14 04:39:01 PDT 2003

Hi James, hello Jim,

Jim Pick wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:47:09 +0100 (BST)
> James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:
>

>>   Is anyone working on porting the rest of GNU classpath relating to AWT
>>into kaffe. If not I like to port some of the stuff over. Eventually I
>>like to implement a truffle for kaffe.

Welcome on board, we desperately need AWT hackers/mergers.

You're talking about something like
http://java.sun.com/products/personaljava/truffle/index.html , right?

> Hi James!  (James used to work at Transvirtual with me)

And still hacks the linux kernel framebuffer, according to kernel traffic ;)

> I'm not aware of anybody working on porting the Classpath AWT, although
> I think Dalibor is quite active in moving the other parts of Classpath
> into Kaffe.  We've already got several AWTs (X11, Qt, Win32), so another
> one is always welcome, I think.  I really haven't played with Kaffe's
> AWTs much yet.

Neither have I, beside getting Qt-AWT to build and integrating it into
the grand automake scheme of thing, really. I've also merged in bits of
Classpath's AWT that weren't conflicting with kaffe's, but there is
still a lot room to cover there, since now we've got the Collection
classes  merged in, which should allow us to pull more classes in. A lot
of Classpath's awt is still unmerged, and there is some very cool work
going on in Classpath for pure java true type font support, and java 2d,
for example. If you want to merge stuff in, hop in on the irc channel
#kaffe at irc.freenode.org or send me an e-mail, so we can coordinate
our efforts.

If you cant to meet some of the (future) Classpath AWT hackers in
person, see the BoF announcement for the Linux Kongress in Saarbruecken:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-08/msg00060.html

> It would also be sort of cool to merge in some of TVT's AWT stuff (eg.
> the framebuffer stuff), plus there are quite a few other free AWT type
> of things out there.

Oh yes, please! Especially if we have someone who knows the insides of
Transvirtual's implementation. I've looked over it, and didn't
understand too much. ;)