[kaffe] GNU classpath and AWT

James Simmons jsimmons at infradead.org
Thu Aug 14 10:08:03 PDT 2003

> Welcome on board, we desperately need AWT hackers/mergers.
>
> You're talking about something like
> http://java.sun.com/products/personaljava/truffle/index.html , right?

Yes. Actually there is alot ot work on. I like to see multimedia truly
supported in Kaffe.

> And still hacks the linux kernel framebuffer, according to kernel traffic ;)

Yeap. Anything graphics/video I work on. I still have some to go on that
code but it is almost done.

> Neither have I, beside getting Qt-AWT to build and integrating it into
> the grand automake scheme of thing, really.

Good. the Classpath stuff is GTK based so I will need help intergrating it
into the Kaffe build system.

> A lot
> of Classpath's awt is still unmerged, and there is some very cool work
> going on in Classpath for pure java true type font support,

Really cool.

> and java 2d, for example.

Cool.

> If you want to merge stuff in, hop in on the irc channel
> #kaffe at irc.freenode.org or send me an e-mail, so we can coordinate
> our efforts.

Okay. I'm on IRC now.

> If you cant to meet some of the (future) Classpath AWT hackers in
> person, see the BoF announcement for the Linux Kongress in Saarbruecken:
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-08/msg00060.html

Nice. It is true there is alot of stuff going on out there. Also looking
at there code I did realize it is not to portable. It is GTK centric. I
like to see alot of this stuff merged in. Agile would be really nice to
support especially since there is a version of embedded OpenGL coming out.
Also OpenML is picking up steam.

http://www.khronos.org/

> Oh yes, please! Especially if we have someone who knows the insides of
> Transvirtual's implementation. I've looked over it, and didn't
> understand too much. ;)

I have been looking into it.