[kaffe] mipsel SIGSEGV

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sat Dec 6 14:49:02 PST 2003

Hi Mark,

Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:

> I've tried cross debugging with gdb (from i386 connecting to mipsel)
> with little success.  The latest problem is:
>
> (gdb) target mips /dev/ttyUSB0
> Expected "<IDT>", got "": FAIL
> Expected "<IDT>", got "": FAIL
> Expected "<IDT>", got "": FAIL
> Failed to initialize.
> Ending remote MIPS debugging.
> You can't do that without a process to debug.
>
> Is anyone familiar enough with gdb to tell me what's missing?  I know
> kaffe should probably be compiled with the appropriate gdb -stubs.h & .c
> files; but I don't understand what's going wrong with the initialization.

I'm not familiar with uisng gdb over wire, but judging by
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_19.html#SEC174 you need to
make sure your GDB on the PC was configured and built with
`--target=mips-idt-ecoff'.

the other choice may be to use the gdbserver program on the mipsel board
to connect to gdb, but I'm not very familiar with that, really. I hope
someof our mips hackers can chip in.