[kaffe] The Verifier and Regression Tests

Rob Gonzalez rgonzale at wso.williams.edu
Thu Jul 3 13:10:02 PDT 2003

Hi Mark,

> On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 00:05, Rob Gonzalez wrote:
> > It would be nice if people would test kaffe with the verifier on whatever
> > they're working on.  By default kaffe doesn't not do any verification, but
> > if you run it with -verifyremote it will verify everything that's not from
> > the bootclasspath (i.e. the standard libraries).
>
> I tried a couple of things and it all seemed to work.

sweet :)  Thanks for testing it!

> BTW. Do you know about the verifier testsuite from Mauve?
> Tom Tromey who wrote the gcj verifier and Jeroen Frijters from the
> IKVM.NET project have checked in some tests written in Jasmin.
> It is in the verify module of Mauve CVS.
> http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/verify/?cvsroot=mauve

Mauve's verification suite is definitely pretty cool.  It's going to be
invaluable to me when I check in pass 3b and have a full verifier in
Kaffe.

At this point I'm more worried about kaffe continuing to run smoothly
during the development process.  For instance, I just discovered a pretty
bizaar off-by-one error in my static analysis of the tableswitch
instruction that was undetected for 8 months because most programs don't
use tableswitch and those that do don't often have the opcode at an index
in the code array divisible by 4 :)  The way I figure it, the more people
that are running kaffe gainst weird programs, the more bizaar bugs are
going to pop up for fixing.

Cheers,
Rob