[kaffe] kaffe-extras

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Jul 27 23:22:02 PDT 2003

Hi Jim,

Jim Pick wrote:
> Sorry for bombing the list with CVS commit messages.  I didn't realize
> that the list would get those commits for modules that weren't "kaffe"
> (I guess the script is doing a substring match).  I'll try to fix that.

I think that's fine, as long as discussion of kaffe-extras happends on
the same mailing list.

> Anyways, you can see the beginnings of the build system for things like
> kjc checked in under "kaffe-extras".  I'm not done with it yet, but I
> checked in what I have so far.

Thanks, it's quite nice.

> Basically, it works similar to how a "ports" style system works.  I'm
> just checking in scripts to download tar and zip files, patch them, and
> build stuff.
>
> There are two basic scripts.  The first one, "bootstrap-kaffe+ant.sh"
> just downloads the sources for kaffe and ant, and builds them.

I've noticed that it uses kaffe 1.1.0. I think that for fixing/finding
bugs and evaluating actual current status with ant and other tools,
using kaffe from CVS head would be a better option. Is there a simple
way to use CVS head as the java environment?

> Most of the rest of the stuff is done with ant, in build.xml.
>
> I'm bumping into several Kaffe bugs that are holding me back.  I can
> rebuild everything except kjc.  To rebuild kjc, I still need to resort
> to using the JDK, and putting rt.jar from the JDK in the CLASSPATH.

I've also had a lot of problems rebuilding kjc by hand. While kaffe has
its share of problems, kjc's makefile is not that great either.