[kaffe] Where to downlad the windows-port?

Clemens Eisserer ceisserer at utanet.at
Sat Jun 7 00:21:01 PDT 2003

Hi!

>Nobody has been actively working on it regularily, but I think some work
>was done on it a few months ago.  Currently, there's only cygwin support
>- so you need to link it against the cygwin DLL (which is an issue for
>some non-GPL software).  The PocketLinux/Transvirtual fork of Kaffe had
>some support for using mingw32 (eg. no cygwin.dll), but that hasn't been
>merged in.

Hmm, I´m not really experienced with Cygwin, althought I´ve worked with
it some times.

How hard do you think is it to compile Kaffe with Cygwin, do you think
the following featurs will work:
*JNI
*Threads
*Execution of Programms with system

>I'm not sure what the current state is - I've been planning to test it.
>It would be nice to hear what the current state of the head of CVS is,

Sorry, then the points above are obsolete. Maybe anybody else has
experiences with cygwin/kaffe experiences?

>as we are planning to release 1.1.0 in two days.

Its great to see that Kaffe isnt dead! I was really sad, because I
thought kaffe is dead (there was a long break between 1.0.6 and 7, and
now the latest release is also 6 Months old). I think a free Java
enviromentn is really needed, to build my applications only compatible
with Suns-JVM (and VMs based on Suns classpath) is nearly the same as
building MFC apps. All your code depends on one company, thats bad!

What are the most important new features of 1.1?

Thanks a lot, Clemens

Btw:

Under Linux Kaffe-1.0.7 crashes with the following error:

ce at linux:~/jbproject/NusyDhcp> kaffe -noverify -verbosegc -classpath
"/home/ce/jbproject/NusyDhcp/classes:/home/ce/Development/Libraries/swt/swt.jar:/home/ce/Development/Libraries/swt/swt-pi.jar:/usr/lib/kaffe/lib/rt.jar"

NusyDhcp
java.lang.NullPointerException
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
ce at linux:~/jbproject/NusyDhcp>

Both Sun-JVM and GIJ works without any problems, Kaffe crashes.

This is the code which causes Kaffe to crash:

    try
    {
      Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("xclock");
    }catch(Exception eb){}

I´m using a rpm from www.rpmfind.net, everything works perfect. Its a
little bit unstable if I stress it, but it works more or less O.K.