[kaffe] Re: LinkedList.subList severely broken

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 07:04:01 PDT 2003

Salut Daniel,

--- Daniel Bonniot <Daniel.Bonniot at inria.fr> wrote:

> >go ahead, Mauve hackers always welcome new tests.
> >
> Well, when I submitted a test case to mauve-patches ~1month ago, nobody
> picked it up, and it is still not in CVS.
> Is submitting to mauve-patches the wrong thing to do?
> My patch on that list is the only one since Janury 1st, and there were
> about 2-3 in each previous year.

I've always submitted my patches through the regular mailing list and had no
problems getting them accepted. Just politely repost on the regular mailing
list. They've probably forgotten they have a patches mailing list ;)

> >Mauve is the "cross-vm" compatibility test suite. It contains a ton of tests
> >for different aspects of class library functionality. Kaffe (and other VMs)
> >also usually have regression test suites to quickly detect resurfacing of
> known
> >bugs. It comes down to different purpose, different test suite.
> >
> Is it that mauve is big, and therefore long to run, and you prefer to
> have also a smaller set that especially exercise Kaffe, and can be run
> more quickly?
> How long is running Mauve on Kaffe? Is there an automatic daily run?

default:

time make check KEYS="java. \!java.lang.Character.unicode"
234 of 2329 tests failed
real    0m51.953s

on a fast 2.4 mhz p4 using kjc, jit3.

JDK1.0:

time make check KEYS="JDK1.0 \!java.lang.Character.unicode"
1 of 825 tests failed
real    0m15.046s

JDK1.1:
time make check KEYS="JDK1.1 \!java.lang.Character.unicode"
234 of 2329 tests failed
real    0m52.313s

JDK1.2:
time make check KEYS="JDK1.2 \!java.lang.Character.unicode"

doesn't build due to missing methods in kaffe's java.text.DecimalFormatSymbols
implementation.

JDK1.3:
time make check KEYS="JDK1.3 \!java.lang.Character.unicode"

doesn't build due to missing methods in Socket and Security.

JDK1.4:
time make check KEYS="JDK1.4 \!java.lang.Character.unicode"
doesn't build due to missing methods and classes.

there is no automatic daily run. if you want to setup one, that would be really
cool. Check out automauve
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-02/msg00001.html

> Maybe it would be worth to add to Mauve tags like 'Kaffe', to be able to
> select a subset of all tests when you want a quick, interactive run.
> I remember the tag system is already there, because there is JDK1.X to
> select which tests to run.

I doubt the mauve hackers would want VM specific tests in the test suite. It's
is supposed to test spec compliance, after all ;)

> The problem with having two suites is that they have different formats,
> and so it's more work to implement both, and to commit them to two
> different CVS repositories. So likely, some tests will only be written
> for Kaffe, and will be wasted for other VMs.
> Wouldn't it be possible to agree that new tests should be written for
> Mauve only, optionally with a Kaffe tag?

That's fine with me, as I can run the mauve suite fairly quickly. If someone
sets up a daily mauve run, I don't think we would lose anything by 'only'
having the test only once ;)