[kaffe] compiling rt.jar in Kaffe 1.1.4
robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Apr 28 08:16:02 PDT 2004
Nils Ratusznik wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> I'm trying de reduce the size of the Kaffe JVM, the final goal is to use
> Kaffe with uClinux on a Motorola Coldfire card.
> I noticed that the rt.jar file is very big, and saw in the FAQ's it is
> possible to reduce its size. I managed to have a 1.9Mo rt.jar by
> suppressing files in the archive, but I think I could save more space by
> recompiling it.
Yes, you could leave the debugging information out for a simple start.
> The operation "make Klasses" in the "Compiling the classes" section of the
> FAQ embedded seems not to exist... I don't know what to do :(
in your build directory, cd libraries/javalib and *then* "make Klasses"
(or just "make").
Another crazy idea off the top of my head would be to
* use some bytecode shrinking utility to reduce the size of the class
* use a bytecode optimizer to 'optimize' methods in the class library
* use an obfuscator to keep only the classes required for your application
* split off runtime classes you don't need to load in your application
into a separate archive and use something else (tar+bz2) to compress
them (and a separate tar+bz2 aware class loader to access them)
* reduce coupling between library classes :)
More information about the kaffe