[kaffe] Re: Java-Gnome: jni or cni

Momchil Velikov velco at fadata.bg
Sat Mar 13 11:35:03 PST 2004

    Thomas> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 18:44, Mark Howard wrote:
    >> The big question is: should we switch to CNI?

    Thomas> Actually you already know the answer. Will you rename the
    Thomas> "java-gnome" project to "gcj-gnome"? If not, stay with
    Thomas> JNI, if yes, do this step with all consequences - you are
    Thomas> talking about a library, then, which will not be available
    Thomas> to generic Java programs/developers. One will then have to
    Thomas> decide

    Thomas>   1) do I write a platform-independent Java program
    Thomas>      obeying Java standards and do not use gcj-gnome

    Thomas> or

    Thomas>   2) do I write a GCC-program in Java language and make
    Thomas>      use of gcj-gnome

  Bullshit, sorry.  The choice is already made -- to write a GNOME
program.  It is unlikely an environement, which has GNOME to not have
gcj.

    Thomas> (note the difference in writing a Java program and writing
    Thomas> a program in Java language)

  And you note the differencees between:

  a) a Java program and a GNOME program written in the Java language.

  b) a Java/GNOME API and its implementation.

  Nothing precludes you from using an alternative implementation of
the Java GNOME binding.