[kaffe] support for JDk 1.2 and higher?

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Feb 16 12:38:51 PST 2005

mariner ux wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Corsin,

> I need a JVM on HP-UX 10.20 which support's JDK 1.2 and higher. I thought I
> could try it with kaffe, so I installed it.

Cool. Thanks for trying it out. I'd recommend going with the CVS head
at, as it is much more complete then 1.1.4. If you are using CVS head,
hop on #kaffe for hands on help, if necessary.

> Kaffe installed sucessfully. I tried to compile the source code of my
> application I worte.
> But there I have still Problems...
> Does the current version, which I installed, support JDk 1.2 and higher?

Most of it, yes. ~ three quarters of the APIs of 1.4 are implemented,
i.e. the most commonly used stuff is covered.

> If Yes what could be the Problems for this Errors:
>
> :javac HPUXldap.java
> HPUXldap.java:19: Class com.novell.ldap.LDAPAttribute not found in import.
> import com.novell.ldap.LDAPAttribute;
>        ^
> HPUXldap.java:20: Class com.novell.ldap.LDAPAttributeSet not found in
> import.
> import com.novell.ldap.LDAPAttributeSet;
>        ^
> HPUXldap.java:21: Class com.novell.ldap.LDAPConnection not found in import.
> import com.novell.ldap.LDAPConnection;
>        ^
> HPUXldap.java:22: Class com.novell.ldap.LDAPEntry not found in import.
> import com.novell.ldap.LDAPEntry;
>        ^
> HPUXldap.java:23: Class com.novell.ldap.LDAPException not found in import.
> import com.novell.ldap.LDAPException;
>        ^
> HPUXldap.java:24: Class com.novell.ldap.LDAPSearchResults not found in
> import.
> import com.novell.ldap.LDAPSearchResults;
>        ^
> HPUXldap.java:25: Class com.novell.ldap.util.Base64 not found in import.
> import com.novell.ldap.util.Base64;

You need to put jldap.jar on your CLASSPATH.

> HPUXldap.java:28: Class java.util.Iterator not found in import.
> import java.util.Iterator;
>        ^

That one is pretty odd. Could you try with CVS head? It implements that
class afaict.

Speaking of Novell's JLDAP [1], I've checked it out, trying to see if it
would build and run with Kaffe from CVS head. Lo and behold, after I put
httpclient 2.0 jar in my CLASSPATH it built. And passed many of the
regression tests, though there were some failures, afaict. So it should
work in general, and help from someone who understands LDAP, i.e you, to
iron the remaining bugs out exposed by Novell's test suite would be cool :)

[1] http://www.openldap.org/jldap/