[kaffe] DArwin6 JIT3

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Feb 20 04:21:53 PST 2005

Michael Franz wrote:
> Nothing new to report on this front, but I have figured out how to
> compile the latest after the Linux/PPC integration step (is this
> complete).  For Darwin6 to compile the embedded assembler the CFLAGS
> needs to be set to '-no-cpp-precomp'.
>
> This might not be necessary on darwin7 since I think Apple changed the
> way the compiler works for gcc 3.3.  I can post the release notes link
> that describes the changes for darwin 7.  It also provides some
> background on the darwin 5 -> 6 -> 7 changes.

I've made -no-cpp-precomp the default in general. Chances are others
broke gcc in the same way Apple did by turning the half-baked feature on
by default before it was ready :)

> P.S.  The JIT still hangs in the basic test.

Yeah, same here. I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Tim seems to
generate part of the JIT from machine descriptions, which is a pretty
cool idea.

I've figured out how to display kaffe.def in gdb (add its source dir to
gdb's lookup path using the dir command) and how tu run gdb with
jitBasic (turn the exec line into exec gdb in that shell script), so now
I'm learning about jit3 & menmonicizer.awk in general. Now I just need
to figure out which switch to toggle on to see the generated code :)