[kaffe] Kaffe on ppc (Slackintosh Linux 2.6.x)

Mike Drozdick mikey66 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 29 08:48:39 PDT 2006

I feel your pain.

I had similar problems with a simple HelloWorld program:
- Compiled & run on CentOS 4.3 Linux
	Runs OK.
- Compiled and run on Fedora Core 5 (tried 32 and 64 bit OS)
	Segmentation Fault
- Cross-Compiled under Fedora 5 Linux for ARM target
	Segmentation fault when run on target

Note: Similar problem building native AND cross-compiling!

I spent a little time investigating with GDB.
I think the problem has to do with Threads.
The SegFault occurs in gc_small_block().
The stack trace leading to the SegFault is:
JNI_CreateJavaVM
  initialiseKaffe
    initNativeThreads
      trace in here and it's easy to see where it SegFaults

I tried rebuilding and running with internal Kaffe threads.
Same result -- SegFault.
Looking at the code, nothing obvious jumped out at me.

I tried many MANY configure permutations (e.g. --with-engine=intrp).
I also tried MANY older releases of Kaffe.
Same result.

It worked fine with my CentOS (e.g. RedHat) setup, so...
I think there is probably something very simple in the
Linux environment that will make Kaffe work.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find what it is, nor could I
get the answer anywhere I looked.

I read the claims that Kaffe has been deployed successfully
in many environments.
I was looking for something that would just work, without my having
to learn ever piece of code in the package.
I spent 12 days wrestling with Kaffe, with no useful results.

I think Kaffe lacks the critical mass of maturity and support
to make if viable for anything beyond a hobby-project.
(Look at the huge time between release dates...)

Would still like to hear the solution, if anyone finds it.
In the meantime, I'm moving on to:
  JamVM (very current, frequent releases, well documented)
  or gcj (like a rock, used in Linksys router).

-Mike